[plug] OT [Fwd: OS/2 Warp is Dead???]

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Dec 19 15:19:15 WST 2000

Not Linux, but nevertheless interesting to alternative-OS devotees:

--------8<----cut-here----8<-------

OS/2 Warp rollout in Germany! - kimh @ 20:08 CET

A major OS/2 rollout will begin next year in Germany. A major German bank
(unknown as yet) has just ordered 300,000 copies of Warp 4.5 FP 14 client
along with 1,000+ WSeB servers! This bank is kicking out all NT boxes and
migrating *to* OS/2! They will be using a special version of Warp. In
contrast to the line that IBM does not support OS/2, IBM is sending a
team consisting of kernel, device driver, etc. programmers to help the
migration along.

All in all, some great news for a "dead" OS! We hope to get some more
information regarding this OS2 story!

[Comment: Regarding the amount of client mentioned in this posting it
sounds just too many. So we actually sent an e-mail to Herbert Rosenau
(info at dv-rosenau.de) who was the one quoted in the original posting (sent
in to OS2 World) to ask about the facts. Reply was that the posting was
okay.]

Source: OS2 World.Com