[plug] internet problems

Evan Lau evanlau at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 20 17:19:02 WST 2000

hi all,

i have finally sussed out some more information about my problem that i
described b4 as "netscape stalling". well i've found that it's not only
netscape but also things like wget which stalls (with all the proxy
information being correct as per netscape).

i am using redhat 7.0 from the apc pocketbook series so i'm presuming i
didn't patch or install something that stuffed things up. i've set up IP
masquerading to allow my second computer (windows 98SE) to access the
internet through my linux computer.

now the VERY *weird* thing is that downloading any file from the windows
machine (thru the linux machine) has no problems, ie. doesn't stall,
consistent speed etc. BUT downloading a file from the linux machine (used
to connect to internet) results in the stalling problem.

i've thought before that disabling rhnsd (automatic update thingy with
redhat with the file descriptor leak problem) worked for me as no problems
arose for a while. but then again yesterday the problem came up again.
does anybody have any ideas?

thanks all if you've read this far. take it easy :)

regards, evan