[plug] email message formats

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Dec 21 11:27:56 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> In Bret's case he has apparently decided (wrongly or rightly)
> that he has very strict security requirements.

Paranoid? I'm not paranoid! Who said I was paranoid? Tell me! (-:

It's a case of value for effort. Canning cookies buys you very little
extra security for a significant cost in inconvenience. However, the
comment about disabling inline attachments is a good one, since in-line
HTML can fetch Java and other locally active objects, which in turn are
much more likely to pose a security problem than a gross of cookies.

Of course, the first step is NEVER RUN WINDOWS since the sign on the TCP
stack reads ``WELCOME ALL VIRUSES AND TROJANS, MALFORMED ICMP AND OTHER
CRACKS'' (even Macs have less than 10% as many viruses et al). The
second step is never to run Microsoft software even on a Mac, because
(1) it will track you much more effectively than cookies; and (2) if an
application can make your computer vulnerable to cracking, the Microsoft
application will be the one that does it.