security (Re: [plug] email message formats - was Re: [plug] Urgent Sale...sorry about the repeat post)

Scott scott at bizzpro.com.au
Thu Dec 21 12:02:56 WST 2000

> Not only that, but even in Today's society you can probably leave your
> front door unlocked for a day, and there is a significant chance that the
> "Bad Guys"(TM) won't know this, because they don't walk up and down every
> street every day looking for unlocked doors.  Also, the chance of getting
> caught checking every door is great.
>
> On the other hand, if you happen to have a program running with a
> remote-root hole, and you are online for long periods, the chances are
> great that somebody will find it, and the chances are slim that they will
> get caught looking for it.
>
>  - Matt

Whats a real world analogy to hacking.
Gaffity,vandalism,
Stealing, theft,
Murder.

I have spent thousands on security for my shop. The shop has been held up at
gunpoint for $200. My staff have been mugged and robbed.  I could not leave
the door open for a second! I left a door mat outside once i came in the
next day and it was gone.  I have 24 hr video cameras, remote alarms, 24 hr
monitoring.  And since then almost no problems. I really do have reason to
be paranoid.
Whats the worst that happens if someone hacks, whats the worst that happens
in the physical world. I never said lets all leave our front doors open. If
we continue the analogy to the physical world what would i be like.
Bars on all the doors and windows with 2 locks.
If i had to leave the house i would be driving a volvo.
Before i leave i make sure i have my german mace, my wallet is tied to my
pants with a chain.
i unlock the car get in and relock the car. oh and check the backseat (urban
legend).
Check my second supply of mace and my illegal gun.
always drive in the middle lane going over bridges at 10 km less than the
speed limit.
park in large public car park that gets a lot of use at night in case i have
to work back.
Where mirror sunglasses so i can see them but they can't tell im looking at
them.
on and on and on.

The strange part is we all know people who do some of these things but if
they were to do them all we would know they have problems. But i don't think
it is necessary to call swat for vandalism or the bomb sqad for an
attachment. Oh no i lost my internal memo to employee no 2233667877677.
What would be scary is "Oh no we've been hacked all the people on life
support are going to die!"

Scott