[plug] Simplest POP dial-in sequence ?

Paul Day bonfire at bur.st
Thu Dec 21 13:56:24 WST 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Mike wrote:
> Tah Greg, thats something I'm not acquainted with - doubtless iinet could
> help me there.

I wouldn't put any money on that. ;)

> Ideally I'd like to ue the existing iinet dialin server
> and not have to set up a special access mode - then I could use it
> normally for my own account etc,

Nope, you won't. Everything you need is in place. All iiNet's AS's will
give you a cisco command prompt that you can telnet from by default when
making a terminal login with a script.

You have two options; telnet to opera and use mail or telnet to mail.iinet
on SMTP port and issue a few SMTP commands. Your script would look
something like this (exact syntaxs may be wrong)

atdt 62650000 (I assume you're still in Perth Mike)
 wait for ogin:
username
 wait for assword:
password
 wait for >
telnet opera.iinet.net.au
 wait for ogin:
username
 wait for assword:
password
 wait for $
{ echo Body of message here } | /bin/mail -s "Subject
here" recipient at somewhere.com
exit
exit

OR (doing it directly by SMTP)