[plug] internet problems

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Dec 22 09:37:06 WST 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Colin Rothnie wrote:

> I generally use "tcpdump -qpi device" which gives
> slightly less verbose output and doesn't put the device in promiscuous mode
> (whatever that means).

Promiscous mode means the ethernet card will listen to all packets on the
LAN - so if you are on a non-switched hub, you can use it to watch traffic
between 2 other hosts on the LAN.

When the ethernet card is in non-promiscous mode, all packets that are not
addressed to your MAC address and are not broadcast packets, are dropped.

 - Matt