[plug] email message formats (inline attachments)

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Dec 26 13:18:28 WST 2000

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 04:57:11PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > Try actually reading what I wrote.  What you've said is completely
> > orthogonal to what I said.
>
> Perpendicular? Orthogonal would imply that I did understand and that the
> reply harmoinised - which doesn't seem to match either the tone of your
> message or your never-say-die debating character. (-:

Maybe I've misused the word or not been sufficiently clear.  What I was
trying to say was simply that what you were saying didn't overlap or
contradict what I was saying.  Both were correct and not at all mutually
exclusive -- we were talking about different (although conceptually
related) things.  More specifically, from what I could see, what you
said had nothing to do with what I said.

> Which is not targetted as email is. Not only that, you don't *choose* to
> receive the email.

Absolutely.  And I've already said this in my FIRST email on this
subject.  The only difference between viewing attachments inline and
surfing the web is that the former allows you to be easily targetted
while the latter makes it (a little) more difficult.  See my previous
email for why this is probably not a big issue for Bret or others on
this list.

> > BTW, you don't have to open a message to delete
> > it in Netscape.  Try hiding/closing the window that displays the message
> > contents and selecting a new message.  It won't open the messsage.
>
> Perhaps you're running a different netscape? I use a three-frame view
> which displays a message's contents as soon as you click on the details
> line.

On this machine the Netscape is version 4.7 but I'm positive it's the
same on my copy of Netscape 4.76 at uni.  In Messenger with the three
panelled screen (or two if you prefer) click the black down arrow
corresponding to the message body frame which "minimises" this frame to
a single line at the bottom of the window.  This means only the subject
line is visible in the message body window and the message remains
unopened.  I just confirmed this with an unread message -- the message
is not read (and also not downloaded from my IMAP server) unless it is
double clicked on or the message body frame restored to normal size.
Try it, I'm positive it will work on your version of Netscape too
(perhaps not 6.0).