[plug] email message formats (inline attachments)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Dec 27 09:11:36 WST 2000

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
>> Christian wrote:
>>
>>> Try actually reading what I wrote.  What you've said is completely
>>> orthogonal to what I said.
>>
>> Perpendicular? Orthogonal would imply that I did understand and that the
>> reply harmoinised.
>
> Perhaps my maths degree has blurred my understanding of the common
> meanings of these words, but what is the difference between orthogonal and
> perpendicular in your usage?

Note that I have no particular axis to grind.

The maths degree may have emphasised the axial definition for
orthogonal; the general sense is ``touching but not overlapping'' as in
a set of axes, although one strict useage is ``rectangular'' (after
Webster). The Jargon File entry is fairly comprehensive. What I said did
overlap what Christian said, but from a different angle (or Saxon, I'm
not sure).