[plug] e-mail: Fetchmail | Postfix | KMail or Balsa or Evolution?

daniel at iinet.net.au daniel at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 28 15:13:40 WST 2000

Hello all,  I should say first that I am very much a newbie, so please
forgive if this is a silly idea:

I have been looking for a way to setup my e-mail to:

- Get my e-mails to both my Linux setup and my Windows setup

- Handle spam: preferably by bouncing back so the sender presumes it's not
an active address (this is possible isn't it?).  Also the usual filtering
of personal and lists e-mail.

- Use an open data standard: store mail in a format that could be backed up
and if necessary read by other mail clients later if necessary. (mbox?)

Best way to Get There?:  (Only my guess work from reading on the net ...
much of this I don't understand)

*Fetchmail and Fetchmailconf (I think this downloads your e-mail from your
ISP transparently)
then forward to SMTP mailer:
*Postfix

Then use a GUI multiple identity mail client to access and read e-mail:
KDE Kmail (probably will be popular) or
Mahogany (cross platform - may operate from Win98 and Linux on a dual boot
machine) or
Balsa or
Evolution (still in Beta?)

.... I know I could leave the mail on the server with one setup - but that
leaves it more open to human error (mine), also I was hoping that Linux
might have a superior way of handling spam e-mails.

Are my ideas heading in the right direction?

Thankyou, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel Beard.