[plug] SCSI emulation for CDROM

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Dec 29 08:17:13 WST 2000

Bill wrote:

'Just add the 2nd ide-scsi assignm,ent to the same append line.

         append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"

Once you have run lilo -v and rebooted, the ddrive assignment may change
so go to "http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/CD-Writing.sgml", cut the
test script out and run it and see what is assigned to what by the scsi
drivers.  My system has one cdrw (new) and and an ls120 which was
present during the OS install.  The cdrw always follows the ls120, even
though I swapped master/slave settings as part of trying to get em to
work.

BillK'

Thanks for the tip Bill. It worked fine, and now I can use my CDROM as a
SCSI drive for reading data and audio extraction in Xcdroast. I can no
longer mount it as cdrom2, so there's something not quite right in my fstab
file, but I'll have another go at it over the weekend. I still have access
to /mnt/cdrom (burner) for reading CDs in general, so it should be OK. To be
honest, when I dug up my fstab file (Mandrake 7.2) it didn't quite look as I
expected, but hopefully, I should be able to work it out eventually.

Thanks again for the help.

Dennis.