[plug] Samba config

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Dec 29 10:35:14 WST 2000

At 09:53 AM 12/29/00 +0800, Scott wrote:

>>From: "Jon Miller" <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
>
>>I seem to be having a problem that may be under my nose, but when I dial in
>to our Linux server with Samba running >I'm not able to see the server nor
>the shares.  I checked my Win98 PC IP address and it reports the correct IP
>>address the Linux server  gives (192.168.2.2).  However as I stated I'm not
>able to see the shares.
>>I do have the IP address listed in the smb.conf file as a valid host
>address in the format of hosts allow = 192.168.1. >192.168.2. 127. which
>hopefully is correct.
>>Is there another setting that must be configured in order for the shares to
>be seen?
>
>Whoops sorry about the repeat post i pressed the wrong button.
>
>This looks like a case of wrong password encryption i know a lot of people
>use samba with the old win95 plain_text_password.

Ummm, no. If the client insists on encrypting passwords while the server is
using plain-text passwords, you get a different error. Indeed, you get an
actual error message.

In this case, the original poster is not even getting a browse list from
the workgroup/domain.

Browsing work is a complicated procedure that uses IP broadcases or WINS to
lookup a list of Backup Browse Servers and then retrieves the browse list
(a list of NETBIOS names).

The request is either broadcast or unicast to the NetBIOS name
<WORKGROUP><1D> or <WORKGROUP><1B>, I forget which now ... That is, I
forget which NETBIOS name it is sent to. The decision on broadcast vs
unicast is determined by the node type the client is set to.

If the backup browse list cannot be retrieved, you cannot retrieve the list
of servers in the workgroup, and thus you cannot browse them.

Most of this is described in excruciating detail in Special Edition, Using
Samba.

In anycase, there are known problems with browsing via PPP (pppd) under
Linux. You may have to configure WINS to get it to work. That way, the
client can lookup the correct names, find the backup browse servers and
retrieve the browse list.

>                                                  Win95OSR2 or nt service
>pack3 onwards all passwords are encrypted by default. It's generally easier
>to use samba with plain text password.
>Anyway i can send you the registry program if you want it or its probably
>available on the samba site.
>

>Scott

Regards
-------