[plug] sblive and dmesg

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 19:47:57 WST 2000

> >i constantly get a message similar to
> "VFS: Disk change
> > detected on device ide1(22,0)" with the ide1(22,0)
> bit changing
> > sometimes. so it's annoying as it removes the
> useful info. how to disable
> > this? and what's causing it?

> But when I went looking for solutions a lot of stuff
> pointed to a package
> magicdev under RH systems

I have this problem too occasionally (RH6.2). AFAIK
magicdev is the program (part of GNOME) which scans
the CDROM and determines what to do if a CD is
inserted. I think I used to get the error more after I
had taken a CD out after using it in GNOME (hence
"disk change"). Thus it's a kernel error message, but
directly caused by a process, so the kernel version
_should_ be irrelevant.

If you don't want to remove the package, disabling it
may work: (6.2 setup here, 7 may be different)

GNOME control centre -> CD properties -> turn off all
automatic-run-type things.

HTH

Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?