[plug] TV interference (otopic)

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Feb 2 09:55:10 WST 2000

>When my computer is on, I get interference on the TV in the way of red
>and green diagonal lines.  Some points
>1) The interference is only on Channel 9 (is this a good or bad thing
>;-) )
>2) The interference is coming from the box (not modem, screen or
>printer)
>3) The computer is in the room futherest from the TV
>4) There is an aerial port unused in the computer room

RFI from (typically older) computers mostly originates in the monitor and
is best controlled at source ie. remove the computer to another room, or
plug it into a different power circuit to the TV if possible. If not, there
are three things I know of which may help (possibly by doing all three)

1.  Wind the TV antenna coax through a ferrite ring as many times as will
fit (about three turns through a 2.5cm ring) before plugging it into the
TV  -- ferrite rings from Dick Smith Electronics, Jaycar Electronics,
Altronics etc

2.  Put an RF choke on the power cable of the computer, the power cable of
the monitor and the monitor cable (if it hasn't got one already). The
chokes should attenuate RF signals escaping the monitor/computer and using
the cables as an "aerial". Put the chokes on the cables up near the
computer case. RF chokes can be bought from the same place you get the
ferrite ring and snap on around the cable. -- Putting chokes on all cables
is probably overkill and considered by some unneccessary, but worth a go.

3.  Buy a commercial TV antenna RFI filter and fit it to the TV antenna cable.

(and an ugly but sometimes effective 4th idea:  cut out the flaps and one
side of a  cardboard box, wrap it in aluminium foil, punch a few vent holes
in it, and sit it over the back and sides of the monitor. The box should be
big enough to not impede air circulation to the monitor)

Hope these help.
Steve