[plug] MS-DOS to Linux

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Feb 4 10:23:16 WST 2000

"Mike Massen, Network Power Systems" wrote:
> A.      Install linux fresh on a Hdisk 420Mb cap but retain the old
>         DOS file system - since all my other stuff will be MSDOS 6.20
>         and I'm not yet setup for file transfers, no usable NICs :(
>         (This way I can dump/save/refresh files easily) ?

Better off getting a cheap new hard drive (circa $200 should get you
8-10 gigabytes if you shop a little), installing that as primary slave
and installing Linux to it, leaving your DOS drive untouched except for
the boot block.

What is the rest of your machine like (processor, buss, RAM)?

> B.      Load the appropriate program to allow me to use those CAD
>         MSDOS pograms - like SCHEDIT, TRAXEDIT etc, DOS emulator ?

DOSEMU, yes. Also, see if you can get source for the DOS CAD programs as
ports would be welcomed. Also-also, try out QCAD and friends on Linux,
you may never look back. (-:

> C.      Have some GUI front end like (better!) then Win 3.11 ?

Easier done than said. Practically any front end is better than Windows
3.11.

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,