[plug] PPP on demand

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Feb 10 14:17:04 WST 2000

Peter Wright wrote:
> I have a feeling that this might be something to do with diald or a
> related program, and I was hoping some of you might be able to either
> point me towards more information or explain how it is done.

You can use diald but the latest versions of pppd support dial on
demand.  The main problem with an IP masquerading situation is that you
may have a situation where something sends out a DNS query and suddenly
your link is dialed back up: this *could* be what you want but often it
isn't.  Another approach might be to use the masqdialer software which
provides a nice GUI interface to control the dialup on the masquerading
box.  This gives more control over dialing and is much the same in
behaviour as the normal Windows DUN.  Probably others will be able to
provide more information through their own experiences.

Regards,

Christian.