[plug] PPP on demand

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 10 14:23:59 WST 2000

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 06:17:04AM +0000, Christian wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > I have a feeling that this might be something to do with diald or a
> > related program, and I was hoping some of you might be able to either
> > point me towards more information or explain how it is done.
>
> You can use diald but the latest versions of pppd support dial on
> demand.  The main problem with an IP masquerading situation is that you
> may have a situation where something sends out a DNS query and suddenly
> your link is dialed back up: this *could* be what you want but often it
> isn't.

Perhaps this situation could be avoided to some degree by running a
domain namer server on the server machine....?

Well, I suspect the only time that a non-localnet DNS query would get
send out would be when a connection to the net _is_ wanted.

Hmmm, though knowing Windows machines, I suspect that last sentence
could be horribly incorrect.

> Another approach might be to use the masqdialer software which
> provides a nice GUI interface to control the dialup on the
> masquerading box.  This gives more control over dialing and is much
> the same in behaviour as the normal Windows DUN.  Probably others
> will be able to provide more information through their own
> experiences.

Do you know where the masqdialer stuff can be found?

Ah, freshmeat... no worries, just ignore me. ;)

> Regards,
>
> Christian.

Thanks,

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
BEDEVERE:  Oooooh!
LAUNCELOT: No "Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh ... " at the back of the throat.