[plug] Redhat 6.0 - killing X

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 11 14:52:42 WST 2000

Hi all again,

Well thank you Beau, Colin, Bevan, Anthony, David, (and anyone else
who responds before this message gets out) for your helpful advice,
which surprisingly enough was almost exactly the same for everyone. :-)

I'm going to have to read up a bit more about /etc/inittab, init and
telinit... I'm not used to dealing with these at all on Debian and
know very little about them.

I'm glad to see that there is a way to shut X off though.

I'll just make one comment out of interest's sake:

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 02:28:43PM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Peter Wright wrote:
> > Can anyone offer advice on the "correct" way to do this?
>
> Okay ... Use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a console.

I knew about this, but it wasn't possible in the situation I had :)...
I'd managed to send X completely batshit and it was refusing to
respond to any keyboard input. I had to telnet in over the network and
become root to deal with it.

It was also suffering under a memory-bashing app that had sent it into
severe swap-thrashing. As this was on a 32 meg, low end Pentium machine
that was acting as a very useful CVS server, fileserver, samba server,
FTP server and informational web server[0] for the programming team
in the local network, everyone in the vicinity was getting mighty
pissed at me.

Basically, I really appreciated the quick responses :-).

Pete.

[0] I'm glad I've changed this now, I think it makes far more sense
to run such a machine without X.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
BEDEVERE: How do you know so much about swallows?
ARTHUR:   Well you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.