[plug] Passing parameters/Boot profiles...

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Feb 11 15:46:33 WST 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Neither solution is overly neat. A nicer way would be if additional Boot params
> (loadlin/lilo) could be accessed somehow (environ variables?) such that a
> startup script could process them.

They are available in /proc/cmdline .... if that helps:
one of min looks like:
BOOT_IMAGE=linux-up ro root=801

BUT I don't knwo what the kernel will do if you pas it an arg it doen't know
about.

ie
linux dontstartx runsshd and killftpd

> Are there any packages/suites (pref Debian) specifically for this sort of
> profile behaviour?
> Any other ideas?

Really thats what run levels are for .... You can redefine then to do what
ever you like.

Yours Tony.