Netscape slow startup (was Re: [plug] PPP on demand)

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Sun Feb 13 19:12:59 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> In NetScape's config file, you can supply names of sites to test the
> name services on. Make those all local, or at least available in the NS
> you use, and she'll be jake.

I came across no likely-looking lines in any config file I could find in
~/.netscape and /usr/lib/netscape. Could you post a sample line and the
relevant filename?

Here's another thing which *seems* to sort the problem out - picked up
from a DejaNews search: Apparently Netscape on startup looks at each
~/.newsrc-* file and then looks for the server named after the hyphen.
If you have such files and don't need them, delete them and NS startup
will happen in an instant, connection or no connection - at least, it's
worked for me so far.

The link to the DejaNews posting:
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=553589977

It's worth following the "thread" link from that article - some other
useful info, e.g:  it seems that if you have only the default "news"
listed as your news server and are not using that, it helps to replace
that with your local machine.

Colin