Netscape slow startup (was Re: [plug] PPP on demand)

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Mon Feb 14 11:15:08 WST 2000

hosts.conf is not enough, you must also update the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.
Look for the line: (files is for things like /etc/hosts)

hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns

Just remove/reorder as required.
If dns is before files, it will always try that first.

Regards,
Chris

At 16:58 11/02/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > Well, I note that Netscape takes ages to start when I'm not connected to
> > the Internet, bust starts quickly when I am.
> >
> > I've done all that I can find in Edit/Preferences - set my home page local
> > etc.
>
>I've been playing around with this. It looks like a DNS matter - if
>Netscape cannot resolve, say, one of the mail or news servers you have
>listed under Preferences, it will choke for ages at startup. On my
>system, simply adding names and numbers to /etc/hosts was not enough - I
>can't work out why not, hosts is down as first choice in host.conf.
>However, using 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver and setting up the correct
>forward and reverse name resolution for the local domains/IPs (in my
>case 127.0.0.* and 192.168.1.*) completely cures the Netscape startup
>problem.
>
>Linuxconf does not seem to do a very good job of the named setup - I
>ended up editing the various named forward and reverse resolution files
>by hand. You probably know how to do that - but if not, drop me a line
>and I'll forward the files as samples.
>
>Colin

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)