[plug] email error messages

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon Feb 14 09:31:54 WST 2000

russ wrote:
> Do I need sendmail to get mail from a remote host if I am using
> fetchmail? How do I kill sendmail so it doesn't start at boot or as a
> daemon? Because yes, I see it is running. Or do I just not worry since
> the spammers are being rejected they will go somewhere else?

You do need sendmail (or superior MTA... *grin*) running if you are
using fetchmail since it delivers email via the local SMTP port.  My
advice would be to configure it to listen on the loopback interface only
which will prevent people making connections to it via your ppp device.
I don't recall off the top of my head how to configure sendmail this way
but it'll probably be fairly obvious if you look in the sendmail
configuration file.

Regards,

Christian.