[plug] email error messages

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Feb 14 09:24:57 WST 2000

At 09:12 14/02/00 +0800, russ wrote:

>So someone is trying to use my computer to send spam. This is bad.
>My computer is rejecting these attempts? This is good.

No, they're not rejecting the attempts.  What is happening is that the
rejection messages are for addresses that aren't valid.  You won't see any
messages from mail sent to valid addresses (unless someone tracks it back
to you - then you might receive a very nasty message from your ISP =).

> How do I kill sendmail so it doesn't start at boot or as a
>daemon? Because yes, I see it is running.

I'd use linuxconf because I'm a GUI weeny.

>Or do I just not worry since the spammers are being rejected they will go
>somewhere else?

Worry about it.  Someone is using your equipment to spam others (and
probably making money in the process - or at least trying to).  If you're
paying for bandwidth then they're costing you money.

skribe
	62.0% pure
	38.0% corrupt
	36.3636363636364% insane.