[plug] Hostname change

Mike (Perth, WA) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Tue Feb 15 18:53:54 WST 2000

At 06:24 PM 15/02/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>
>> restart the syslogd... It checks the hostname at startup and caches the
>> result.  Other daemons may be affected by the same issue.
>
>Which just goes to show that any serious OS should be rebooted after every
>configuration change.

mmmm - Nop, don't agree with that on philosophical grounds...

It should be possible to reconfigure an OS and even various kernel operators
during execution (with appropriate safegaurds) and not have to go through
a full reboot which may upset tasks, its easy to say at moment
cause I don't think anyone is using linux in Perth for *real* mission
critical stuff - BUt it would be nice if such OS design was built-in...

<Flame suit at the ready> ;-)

Rgds ~`:o)

Mike Massen         Trading as "Network Power Systems" and "Network Computers"
Perth, Western Australia  Ph +61 8 9444 8961  Fx +618 9264 8229 (fax -> email)
Products/Personal/Client web area at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus
 (Current pics - trip to Malaysia to install equipment in jungle power site)

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.