[plug] Help with tar

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Feb 15 19:21:28 WST 2000

G'evening all
This one has me screaming with pain..
I am trying to copy the contents of one laptops
hard disk to another laptop, via a server, as I only
have one pcmcia network card..

Trying
tar --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/proc --exclude=/var/log/wtmp -cpvzf
/mnt/laptop.tgz /

When I uncompress on the other box, with a
tar -xvpzf /mnt/laptop.tgz
All the files have the corret uid/gid, but all the dirs are
uid/gid 0 (which is the uid/gid I'm running from)
I have tried --same-owner and --force-numeric
and lots of permutations of the above..
Even tried creating a V7 tar archive and uncompressing
with a cat /mnt/laptop.tgz | zcat | star
which are utils in the debian slink rescue disks...

Helllllpppppppppp................

Yours in frustration.....

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would