[plug] Hostname change

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Tue Feb 15 19:40:26 WST 2000

> At 06:24 PM 15/02/2000 +0800, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> >
> >> restart the syslogd... It checks the hostname at startup and caches the
> >> result.  Other daemons may be affected by the same issue.
> >
> >Which just goes to show that any serious OS should be rebooted after every
> >configuration change.
>
> mmmm - Nop, don't agree with that on philosophical grounds...
>
> It should be possible to reconfigure an OS and even various kernel operators
> during execution (with appropriate safegaurds) and not have to go through
> a full reboot which may upset tasks, its easy to say at moment
> cause I don't think anyone is using linux in Perth for *real* mission
> critical stuff - BUt it would be nice if such OS design was built-in...

Your absolutely correct. Why should you _need_ to reboot to change a
software setting?

Serious OS should be rebooted after config change....ok, I presume you
would agree with me in that the OS used on NASAs space shuttles counts as
a serious OS. However I bet you they do not reboot after a simple config
change like this.

You've been around Windows NT way too long. Heck even windows 2000 can add
in extra IPs without rebooting (something linux has done for a long time)
and that NT doesnt normally do. So your telling me that not only Microsoft
working "backwards" but so is Linux? Your wrong, very very wrong.

Gavin