[plug] Hostname change

Mike (Perth, WA) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Tue Feb 15 20:22:13 WST 2000

At 07:40 PM 15/02/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>> It should be possible to reconfigure an OS and even various kernel
operators
>> during execution (with appropriate safegaurds) and not have to go through
>> a full reboot which may upset tasks, its easy to say at moment
>> cause I don't think anyone is using linux in Perth for *real* mission
>> critical stuff - BUt it would be nice if such OS design was built-in...
>
>Your absolutely correct. Why should you _need_ to reboot to change a
>software setting?

Yeah - with you so far :)

>Serious OS should be rebooted after config change....ok,

Well subject to definitions, but why

> I presume you
>would agree with me in that the OS used on NASAs space shuttles counts as
>a serious OS. However I bet you they do not reboot after a simple config
>change like this.

Not sure what you are getting at here ?

Given the importance of the systems any config change usually is reboot due
to human design limitations and system complexity causing 'imponderables'...

During take off and various other mission critical tasks the software
can't be rebooted and is not subject to config changes - one would hope...

There are up to 5 computers on board and in a voting arrangement so
a config change to either must be synced with all the others - sure, this can
occur after a mission critical task is over - ie. A reboot could occur when
in orbit and no thrusters need to be deployed etc - But I can't see why this
is relevant to linux and the initial enquiry ?

>You've been around Windows NT way too long. Heck even windows 2000 can add
>in extra IPs without rebooting (something linux has done for a long time)
>and that NT doesnt normally do. So your telling me that not only Microsoft
>working "backwards" but so is Linux? Your wrong, very very wrong.

Highly presumptuous of you - don't use Windows NT in any form, why say that ?

I'm not telling you anything about MS, thats not what I said at all - Eh ?

I can't understand your statement about "backwards, could you rephrase
it please ?

What am I very wrong about ?

All I've said (and intimated) is that a serious OS design should not need a
reboot after a simple config change - for the simple example that a mission
critical task could be in execution at the time of a non-relevant config
change, for sheer efficiency it would not be sensible to halt/suspend the
mission critical task - the OS designer should be able to
assign and reassign config issues without the need for a reboot...

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html