[plug] Advice please

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Wed Feb 16 10:25:35 WST 2000

I'm about to buy a new computer to replace our aging P133 home server.  My
working price range is $3000-3500 for the complete system.  The main
problem is choosing a CPU.  There is fortunately a multitude of options.
Unfortunately I'm a little overwhelmed and would like some advice.  This is
what I'm considering (not an exhaustive list by any means =) :

dual celeron 533
athlon 650

What do you think?  Are there better options within my price range? Alpha?
Sparc? Tell him he's dreaming ;).

BTW I'm aware that both SMP and the athlon have potential problems.  It
doesn't stop me from wanting to `play' with them =).

Thanx

skribe
	62.0% pure
	38.0% corrupt