[plug] scanner experience

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 19 00:55:12 WST 2000

Jason Nicholls wrote:
<snip>
> > > Who here has a scanner working under linux? I'm thinking of
> > > purchasing a Umax 1220S and would like to know other peoples
> > > experiences with scanners...

> > current SANE umax backend seem to support Astra 1220S.  Is this the
> > same scanner?
>
> That's why I have been looking at the Umax (astra) 1220S - because it
> has good SANE support.
>
> > I have very good experience with HP SCSI scanners.  Maybe that might
> > be an option?
>
> Well at my last job we had a HP scanner that worked great (under
> Linux) but it was rather expensive at around $900. The 1220S is
> around $380...
>
> Do you know of a cheaper HP SCSI scanner? The cheapest I can see
> from the Harris Tech web site is $749.

Why is SCSI needed?

I have been using a HP Scanjet 5100C, which runs from a parallel port, and in
Windows, with just using the standard HP scanning software for Windows, gives
brilliant results. From what I understand, as it is TWAIN, SANE works well with
that model, as was supposed to also work well with the previous model Scanjet
5P.

I have not used a scanner with Linux, but, from what I understand, the parallel
port HP Scanjets, such as this, work well with Linux, using SANE.

>From reviews, from what I understand, this level of HP scanners give results as
good as, or better than, scanners that cost over $1000.

The price for this kind of HP scanner, I believe, is around $400 - $500.

For the price, and the picture quality, I suggest that you have a look at this
model of the HP Scanjet, or, if it is superseded, the subsequent model. If you
are going to spend the money on a scanner, you have nothing to lose, in
comparing the scanned images of the different scanners.

Visit http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners.html

which is found from visiting http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

I have scanned photographs from passport size to 5 inch by 8 inch, with the HP
Scanjet 5100C printer, and I wouldn't buy anything else (unless it is a later
equivalent of the same model). The comparatively cheap price makes it an even
better buy. Images scanned from the passport photo sizes, were enlarged and
published in a company brochure, for a company in Perth.

--

Bret Busby