[plug] scanner experience

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sat Feb 19 01:48:03 WST 2000

Hola,

> Why is SCSI needed?

I have a SCSI controller, and SCSI scanners tend to be much faster
than a parallel port scanner. I hate waiting for things ;)

> I have not used a scanner with Linux, but, from what I understand, the parallel
> port HP Scanjets, such as this, work well with Linux, using SANE.

Perhaps, the sane web site doesn't seem to like parallel port scanners
that much. It does go on to say that progress is being made with USB
support
for various (higher end) HP scanners.

> >From reviews, from what I understand, this level of HP scanners give results as
> good as, or better than, scanners that cost over $1000.

Yeah, we had the 6350C at work and it was brilliant.

Thanks,

Jason Nicholls