[plug] Redhat 6.1 and printing

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Feb 20 13:47:43 WST 2000

G'day Len,

> I note dez's problem with printer function on RedHat 6.1  By default anyhow the
> version of RH 6.1 I have does not invite you to setup a /spool/lp(x), and hence
> when you move on into Enlightenment/Gnome printtool goes through the motions
> but gets nowwhere because the system does not find a valid port. I notice that
> other subscribers are having the same problem. RH 6.0 on the other hand does
> invite you to set up the printer/spooler and no problems arise.

You mean "/dev/lp(x)" rather than "/spool/lp(x)".

This is the way I setup a printer just the other day:

- started x as usual (as a non-priv user)
- started xterm, su to root
- executed printtool
- printtool comes up and I add a printer (local)
- a little window pops up that says /dev/lp0 was detected and
  /dev/lp1, /dev/lp2 are not detected (makes sense for my system).
- even if it doesn't detect anything it still lets you proceed...
- rest from here is printer specific...

Note that my system was originally redhat 6.0 then upgraded to 6.1. I
did install the printer after upgrading though.

I took a look at the "dev" package contents on my 6.1 cd which still
installs the /dev/lp(x) devices.

> I for one cannot find out if the version of RH 6.1 which I have is "hobbled" or
> whether it is a case of just knowing how.  You make mention of recompiling the
> kernel in order to achieve this. Is this really necessary, or is there another
> way,
> after all a printer output is a pretty fundamental necessity in any operating
> system.

I should have phrased what I said differently. I meant that if you had
already
recompiled your kernel then make sure the parallel support option was
enabled.
If you haven't re-compiled the kernel then the default redhat one
contains
everything already...

Regards,

Jason Nicholls