[plug] Mandrake - printing

William Kenworthy w.kenworthy at student.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Feb 21 17:04:32 WST 2000

hi Christian,
	yes, a lots broken.  At the risk of starting a flame war, I orig
chose redhat back when 5.0 was released as it was supposed to be the
easiest to startwith so have stayed with that choice.  I tried Mandrake as
it is supposed to be a better redhat than redhat! - optimised etc.  But I
will reserve my judgement about 7.0 until I reload it from scratch.  I can
reccomend Mandrake 6.1 tho as excellent, giving less problems than RH5.2
(as it should, being newer - did an install from scratch.)  My impression
of debian is thats its both harder to get going and be productive, more
fiddling etc.  Can someone put a perspective on redhat & clones and debian
as to why they chose debian?

	Also had a look at the mandrake site, they still make a big thing
of rehat compatibility.  Found that the upgrade itself went smoothly, but
instead of incorporating existing system mods (such as ldconf.so, profile
etc, it just copied them to a .rpmsave ext.  Some apparently were also
just replaced and not saved so are impossible to easily track down.
Easier to just blot it and start from scratch.

BillK