[plug] Mandrake - printing

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 21 17:16:15 WST 2000

William Kenworthy wrote:

> hi Christian,
>         yes, a lots broken.  At the risk of starting a flame war, I orig
> chose redhat back when 5.0 was released as it was supposed to be the
> easiest to startwith so have stayed with that choice.  I tried Mandrake as
> it is supposed to be a better redhat than redhat! - optimised etc.  But I
> will reserve my judgement about 7.0 until I reload it from scratch.  I can
> reccomend Mandrake 6.1 tho as excellent, giving less problems than RH5.2
> (as it should, being newer - did an install from scratch.)  My impression
> of debian is thats its both harder to get going and be productive, more
> fiddling etc.  Can someone put a perspective on redhat & clones and debian
> as to why they chose debian?
>
>         Also had a look at the mandrake site, they still make a big thing
> of rehat compatibility.  Found that the upgrade itself went smoothly, but
> instead of incorporating existing system mods (such as ldconf.so, profile
> etc, it just copied them to a .rpmsave ext.  Some apparently were also
> just replaced and not saved so are impossible to easily track down.
> Easier to just blot it and start from scratch.
>
> BillK

 From the above, perhaps people on the list could comment on the various
distributions that are available ( Hi, Ho, into another distro war!), for
example, from what Bill has mentioned, perhaps someone could review
distributions like Corel Linux, which is based on the much-touted Debian Linux.

Perhaps such a topic could be a worthwhile topic for a workshop evening
meeting? (A comparison of the various distributions, and a discussion of the
various strengths/weaknesses of each distribution)
--

Bret Busby