[plug] Mandrake - printing

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon Feb 21 17:32:06 WST 2000

William Kenworthy wrote:

> hi Christian,
>         yes, a lots broken.  At the risk of starting a flame war, I orig
> chose redhat back when 5.0 was released as it was supposed to be the
> easiest to startwith so have stayed with that choice.  I tried Mandrake as
> it is supposed to be a better redhat than redhat! - optimised etc.  But I
> will reserve my judgement about 7.0 until I reload it from scratch.  I can
> reccomend Mandrake 6.1 tho as excellent, giving less problems than RH5.2
> (as it should, being newer - did an install from scratch.)  My impression
> of debian is thats its both harder to get going and be productive, more
> fiddling etc.  Can someone put a perspective on redhat & clones and debian
> as to why they chose debian?

I chose Debian because I wanted to try something a little more
intelligently designed than Slackware (i.e., anything else!) and because
I had had Debian recommended to me many, many times over.  I now stick
with Debian because it feels like a lot of effort has been put into
making everything fit together properly (which, after all, is the entire
purpose of a distribution).  The package management infrastructure
managed by the Debian project is really something and the tools used
(apt-get, dpkg and even the much maligned dselect) are very powerful and
sophisticated without making you feel like you don't have any control
over the process anymore.  Furthermore, the more Debian installs I do,
the more I like the installation process.  It's not as user friendly as
some but it's very simple yet flexible.  In the end Debian probably is
harder to use than most distributions but if you feel like you've got a
handle on your current distribution and are looking for a (not too big)
challenge then I think most people will find Debian rewards whatever
effort they put into learning it.

Regards,

Christian.