Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Tue Feb 22 06:54:37 WST 2000

> In the absence of an official package, I'd rather download a raw tarball
> and install everything in /usr/local/foo, then make the requisite
> modifications to the system myself. That way, I know how my system differs
> from a standard system, and what I have to remove when the time comes.

Most times I can find an rpm created for Red Hat, though often for the
wrong version.

I often download source rpms and build them here; that gives me rpms with
the correct libc.

AFAICR, I've only downloaded two non-RH rpms; one was for Caldera and
Caldera has a nonstandard rpm with the result the spec file had to be
fixed. Another was for Mandrake and that built & installed no worries.

The big disadvantage of tarballs is that rpm doesn't know what files it
installs, so upgrading & removing are both more difficult.

I use RHL because it works. I have no problem with folk using other
distros, however, I don't expect I'd recoup the time converting if I did
convert to something else.

If I install another vendor's distro, it will because of something else
packaged with it.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield