Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Tue Feb 22 17:07:50 WST 2000

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, John Summerfield wrote:
> Most times I can find an rpm created for Red Hat, though often for the
> wrong version.
And hence rarely better than a tarball, and usually worse.

> The big disadvantage of tarballs is that rpm doesn't know what files it
> installs, so upgrading & removing are both more difficult.
No, that's an _advantage_ over unofficial RPMs. You put the files where
they are, so you know what to remove. Who knows what an unofficial RPM
might do?

> I use RHL because it works. I have no problem with folk using other
> distros, however, I don't expect I'd recoup the time converting if I did
> convert to something else.
You might be surprised. Probably depends how much and how many Linux
systems you use, and whether they are production/development/stuff-around.

> If I install another vendor's distro, it will because of something else
> packaged with it.
If something is packaged with only one distro, I wouldn't touch it. :)
OK, so that's a generalisation, but still a rule of thumb.

-Greg