[plug] Unix Beginners Textbook?

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 17:01:48 WST 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 08:10:36AM +0000, Christian wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > Is that the one by Coriolis Press? The "open source" one that's
> > available for free online? Or am I confusing it with something else?
>
> No, it's from the group that release those annoying "Foo Bar Unleashed"
> books... they make computer technology sound like some new strain of
> influenza.  I know the books you mean but... they have book which goes
> through the Linux kernel line-by-line but I didn't know there was an
> online version of it... you wouldn't happen to know the URL, would you?

Well, I had a quick look at www.coriolis.com (using Lynx) and looked
under their Linux/OpenSource section - tried to have a look at the
details of one of their books (on the kernel IP stack)... and managed
to make their database system shit itself.

  Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

   Unable to get a connection to CoriolisDB.

   Timed-out waiting for the data source or its driver.

   SQL = "SELECT * FROM Books WHERE ISBN = '1576104702'"

   Data Source = "CoriolisDB"

   Date/Time: 02/22/00 01:49:31
   Browser: Lynx/2.8.2rel.1 libwww-FM/2.14
   Remote Address: 203.8.204.251
   HTTP Referer: http://www.coriolis.com/focuson/linux.asp
   Template: D:\InetPub\wwwroot\Coriolis\bookstore\bookdetail.cfm
   Query String: id=1576104702

Gee, I _wonder_ what they're running...  ;)

Netcraft says:

   www.coriolis.com is running Microsoft-IIS/4.0 on [11]NT4 or Windows 98

No, really? *roll of eyes* Oh well... :-/

Anyway, I may have been mistaken - I _thought_ I read, in my brief
glance through one of their books a few months ago, that they were
saying that in the spirit of open source, yadayadayada, they were
making it available online. I might have misunderstood or
misremembered though.

Sorry - hope I didn't get anyone overly excited. If anyone else wants
to try to wade through the Coriolis site and find out if they _are_
making any of their Linux/Opensource books available, be my guest. :)

> Regards,
>
> Christian.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
"But the most reliable indication of the future of Open Source is its past: in
just a few years, we have gone from nothing to a robust body of software that

  -- Bruce Perens, on the future of Open Source software. (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)