[plug] Mandrake - printing

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Feb 22 17:26:07 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> Spice also pointed out that there are zero Debian-specific cracks on
> >> rootshell.
> > Hmmm... this isn't really a sensible thing to say
>
> Along the lines of "this house has burglar-proof doors"...

Maybe... but perhaps more along the lines of "there are no crow bars
made specifically to break open our brand of door..."  Does that sort of
guarantee just give you a nice, warm, cozy feeling? :-)

> > since it leads people
> > to believe that Debian is in some way secure
>
> ...but OTOH someone thoughtless enough to not expect a burglar through
> the windows or roof shouldn't be doing security in the first place.
> People will anyway, but TANSTAAFL.

Everyone is "doing security" (or should be), just few people realise
it.  If you dial onto the Internet, you need to be doing security.  If
you receive disks from friends, you need to be doing security.  If
you're a system administrator, you need to be doing security.  If you
read email, you need to be doing security.  Interestingly I think
everyone on this list fits into the last category but how many on this
list are "doing security"?  Unfortunately an education programme of the
size required probably will never happen so instead we have to depend on
vendors to start releasing secure products... Hmmm... what was that
about an education programme again?