Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Feb 22 17:51:02 WST 2000

John Summerfield wrote:
> AFAICR, I've only downloaded two non-RH rpms; one was for Caldera and
> Caldera has a nonstandard rpm with the result the spec file had to be
> fixed. Another was for Mandrake and that built & installed no worries.

I use Mandrake and have never had an RH-specific RPM work any worse than
it would under RH itself.

> I use RHL because it works. I have no problem with folk using other
> distros, however, I don't expect I'd recoup the time converting if I did
> convert to something else.

Well, Windows also works, after a fashion... I switched from RH to
Mandrake and there was practically zero transfer adjustment. Mandrake is
not perfect (they've obviously got too much on their corporate plate, ie
grew too fast), but I've found it generally more reliable than RH in
terms of security and jagging(?) the right versions of things to ship,
just as easy to install and use (now easier IMHO) and they put more
effort into KDE and less into Gnome; when I chose between them KDE was
stabler and now I'm using some KDE-specific tools (which damage I might
later correct at the Source on principle).

> If I install another vendor's distro, it will because of something else
> packaged with it.

Odd, that's exactly why I started using Mandrake... (-: