[plug] Netscape Default Profile...

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 23:08:25 WST 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 01:55:18AM +0000, Trevor Phillips wrote:
[...]
> Quote from the "sed" manpage about Regular Expressions:
>        [XXX FIXME: more needs to be  said.   At  the
>        very   least,   a  reference  to  another  document  which
>        describes what is supported should be given.]
[...]

Traditionally, this is probably because it's documented with the
standard editor. ("ed", of course! <grin>) "sed" is simply the Stream
EDitor.

That said, regular expressions are a concept, not single, arbitary,
defined set of operations. Different programs will have variations -
some have {m,n}, some don't, some have |. some don't, etc. There's a
lot of tradeoffs to be made between speed versus code size/complexity
versus ability to deal with pathological cases, and so on, depending on
the application.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal