[plug] Netscape Default Profile...

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Wed Feb 23 01:04:56 WST 2000

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 01:55:18AM +0000, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> [...]
> > Quote from the "sed" manpage about Regular Expressions:
> >        [XXX FIXME: more needs to be  said.   At  the
> >        very   least,   a  reference  to  another  document  which
> >        describes what is supported should be given.]
> [...]
>
> Traditionally, this is probably because it's documented with the
> standard editor. ("ed", of course! <grin>) "sed" is simply the Stream
> EDitor.
>
> That said, regular expressions are a concept, not single, arbitary,
> defined set of operations. Different programs will have variations -
> some have {m,n}, some don't, some have |. some don't, etc. There's a
> lot of tradeoffs to be made between speed versus code size/complexity
> versus ability to deal with pathological cases, and so on, depending on
> the application.

I filed a bug report on sed a while ago; I'd spent ages trying to do
something, the docs didn't help.

the documentation I have refers me to awk; that's wrong, it's not the same
was awk.

I *think* the answer was it was the same as grep (not egrep), but then I
later complained about grep and found there was a shiny new version of
that too (now grep -E == egrep).

I did suggest lifting the grep documentation and inserting it into sed's;
the bug-fixer agreed that's sensible. Now I guess it's just a matter of
time until it filters through.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield