Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

russ russ at powerstech.com
Wed Feb 23 08:34:05 WST 2000

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> snip <
>
> Yes, but I also meant the proprietary things that Caldera and SuSe tend to
> integrate too far into their distros -

I don't really know what you mean by this but I use SuSE and I've used
Turbolinux and Red Hat in the past. I don't think SuSE goes any
further than any of these. The main differences I've found have been
in the installation. And I've found SuSE better at detecting my
hardware than the other two.

And it defaults to KDE, not Gnome, which is definitely an advantage. I
find core dumps annoying :)

> if something is good, and is Free,
> (like-speech-not-beer) then every distro will have it or an equivalent. If
> only one distro has it, you start to wonder whether it is either not good
> enough of not Free enough for the others to touch.

Why doesn't everybody use APT then? Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

> But everyone needs APT. :)

The real reason I jumped in here is to ask if APT can be used on a
non-Debian distro? Can I just get the APT rpm ;-) and install it then
use APT for now on?

--

Regards
russ