Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Wed Feb 23 12:11:08 WST 2000

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Colin Muller wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Tony Clark wrote:
> > > There is a rpm thingo comparable to APT
> Have a look at autorpm:
> http://www.kaybee.org/~kirk/html/linux.html

"AutoRPM is a program that can do any combination of the following: mirror
RPMs from an FTP site, keep installed RPMs consistent with an FTP site
or local directory, and keep installed RPMs in a cluster or network of
systems consis- tent."

This is not what APT does that I want to do with RPMs.
I'll use Christians term for it: "resolving cascading dependencies", and
for Barbara's sake, yes, dealing with conflicts is also essential.

> and urpmi:
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/cooker/urpmi.html

Aha! Mandrake to the rescue. This seems like a good start, though I get
the impression from the webpage that it's not quite ready yet. Presumably
it will work on the Redhat systems I may have to administer, or if it
doesn't, Redhat will make sure it does.

-Greg