Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Wed Feb 23 12:39:58 WST 2000

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> "AutoRPM is a program that can do any combination of the following: mirror
> RPMs from an FTP site, keep installed RPMs consistent with an FTP site
> or local directory, and keep installed RPMs in a cluster or network of
> systems consis- tent."
>
> This is not what APT does that I want to do with RPMs.
> I'll use Christians term for it: "resolving cascading dependencies", and
> for Barbara's sake, yes, dealing with conflicts is also essential.

I haven't had a close look, but I can't imagine it would require an
all-nighter to tell autorpm.pl to use urpmi as its installer instead of
/bin/rpm - that would give you pretty much the functionality you want
(auto-update by comparison with a remote ftp directory, including
detection and auto-install of dependencies).

Colin