[plug] Unix Beginners Textbook?

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Feb 23 17:26:54 WST 2000

>David Griffiths wrote:
>>
>> Guess you've already checked this out - but just in case... the
>> online/offline html versions of Larry Greenfield's "The Linux Users' Guide"
>> might be of interest.

<snip>

>Anyway, yeah, so I'd like to avoid "Linux Guide" and things
>distribution-specific (which is what the UNIX For Dummies-style seem to go
>for;
>"How to install RedHat" *shudder*), and also keep it at the user/reference
>level, without getting in too deep...

Sounds like it's not what you're after. But might be useful for your
students anyway as it meets some of your criteria and is free.

There's not much linux specific stuff there (lots of reference to unix,
hardly any to linux), no install stuff, no sysadmin, it's cheap (free) and
runs under windows (html). Mostly about using the shell, utility commands
etc - really basic but useful stuff for a new user, and written in a very
accessible way.

Anyway, nuf said.

Dave.

  David Griffiths                               griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Systems Manager
  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection            Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                  Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia