[plug] differences between PIII and PIII Xeon

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Feb 23 18:10:50 WST 2000

Does anyone on the list have a clear idea of the differences between the
PIII 800MHz and the PIII Xeon 800 MHz? (or 733 MHz for that matter)

I've yet to see a document that mentions them on the same page except in
the most general terms (like - Xeon is better for servers etc).

With the 500/550 versions the cache speed and available size range was a
clear difference. But both of the 800's have the same 32k L1 cache and 256
k Advanced Transfer Cache (=L2 cache), both have 133MHz frontside support
and run with the 840 chipsset with RDRAM and both have Streaming SIMD
Extensions an 64GB Ram support.

Some possible differences I've noted (hard to say for sure from the INTEL
docs):
1. slot difference perhaps (Slot 1 vs Slot 2?)
2. Xeon won't run with the 820 chipset.
3. Xeon - better scalability (up to 8 way as opposed to 2 way)
4. xeon - better advanced management features (?)

Haven't spotted differences related to straight performance though ( on the
840 chipset).

Dave.

  David Griffiths                               griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Systems Manager
  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection            Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                  Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia