[plug] differences between PIII and PIII Xeon

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Feb 23 19:38:15 WST 2000

David Griffiths wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have a clear idea of the differences between the
> PIII 800MHz and the PIII Xeon 800 MHz? (or 733 MHz for that matter)
>
> I've yet to see a document that mentions them on the same page except in
> the most general terms (like - Xeon is better for servers etc).

As far as I know, the main difference is Xeon comes with different size
internal caches...
Prior to PIII Coppermine, PIII's had a slower L2 cache (half/clock I think it
was), whilst Xeon always had full speed L2 cache. Now that Coppermine's full
speed L2, I think it's about the same of the low-end Xeon.

Last year, when speccing out a Sun vs Intel server proposal, Sun was way more
expensive (for a Dual CPU system), until you started to spec the Intel out with
equivalent CPU's; Xeon with 2MB L2 cache. Then they came to about the same
price.

Don't know if any of this helps at all tho. I don't know hard facts about the
latest Xeon's. ^_^;;
(IS there such a new Xeon? Or are current Xeons still the same old tech?)

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :