[plug] Hum causing modem dropout

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Sat Feb 26 09:00:25 WST 2000

> Greg Gamble wrote:
> >   As for Telstra ... he apparently rang them, and they wanted
> > large sums of money, apparently, to check the line.
>
> Sounds like a cable fault.
>
> Don't ring Telstra and report modem problems - they only
> guarantee 9600. Ring them and report a problem with the
> quality of the voice - i.e. the hum. I don't suppose this
> is the first point in the house? If it was then I imagine
> Telstra would have an obligation to fix it. If it's not then
> your friend might have to pay - Telstra or someone with
> an Austel license (or equivalent knowledge).

Telstra might only guarantee 9600, but they also admit it 'should work' at
higher speeds.

Telstra recently helped me to try to resolve a problem I had, and even
authorised me to connect to MOLDS to check my modem out.

About that time my modem decided to behave itself for a while so we didn't
actually resolve the problem,,,

--
Cheers
John Summerfield