[plug] Hum causing modem dropout

Bill Cullen billc at wantree.com.au
Fri Feb 25 21:34:10 WST 2000

Greg Gamble wrote:
>   As for Telstra ... he apparently rang them, and they wanted
> large sums of money, apparently, to check the line.

Sounds like a cable fault.

Don't ring Telstra and report modem problems - they only
guarantee 9600. Ring them and report a problem with the
quality of the voice - i.e. the hum. I don't suppose this
is the first point in the house? If it was then I imagine
Telstra would have an obligation to fix it. If it's not then
your friend might have to pay - Telstra or someone with
an Austel license (or equivalent knowledge).

I understand that there is a limit to the number of devices on
a line (generally about three - depending on the device).
Could your friend be near the limit? Perhaps he doesn't notice
the hum when testing because:
1. He disconnects a phone at another jack and plugs in the T200
   dropping the number of devices to below three; and
2. He disconnects the T200 and plugs another phone into the
   T200's jack again dropping the number of devices to below
   three.

So it might be worth his while if he disconnects the other
devices and then see if the hum goes away.

In days gone past I would have suggested you try the aus.comms
newsgroup. It still might be worth ago - however now a days the
signal to noise ratio is a might low (too many flame wars
involving Speed, Ellis, et al and people trying to solicit
others for Dingo Blue).

Bill.