[plug] Apache doesnt like filenames with spaces

Kim Covil kimc at zydeco.ned.dem.csiro.au
Mon Feb 28 15:27:22 WST 2000

> On the Apache subject, why doesnt apache like links to files with spaces
> in the name?
>  e.g. <A HREF="file name.html">  works with file: acces in
> netscape, but apache goes looking for "file". I would have expected in a
> Unix culture, that the double quotes would be respected. Is this the fault
> of Apache, or some weird aspect of the HTML specification?

I think it is more to do with the HTTP standard which as far as I
remember doesn't allow spaces... you need to encode them... %20 off the
top of my head

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at it.net.au