[plug] Apache doesnt like filenames with spaces

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Mon Feb 28 15:30:12 WST 2000

Mike Holland wrote:
> On the Apache subject, why doesnt apache like links to files with spaces
> in the name?
>  e.g. <A HREF="file name.html">  works with file: acces in
> netscape, but apache goes looking for "file". I would have expected in a
> Unix culture, that the double quotes would be respected. Is this the fault
> of Apache, or some weird aspect of the HTML specification?

A space is not a valid URL character (it's called an "unsafe" character
in the HTTP RFCs). A server should not accept your request for a
filename with a space, and should really replace a space with %20 if,
say, it's generating an HTML listing of a directory which has filenames
with spaces in them.

A lot of broken images you'll come across on web sites are simply a
matter of someone putting up an image file with a space in its name.

Colin